Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do to prepare for my visit and make payment decisions?

When making medical payment decisions, it is important to get an accurate estimate of care costs.  We can provide an average charge per procedure, which will give patients an idea of what the cost may be. Actual charges will vary by patient based on specific needs.  It is important to seek out the answers to these questions:

  • What will my insurance cover? (Refer to your Insurance Coverage Plan or Insurance Agency)
  • What will my out-of-pocket costs be? (Refer to your Insurance Coverage Plan or Insurance Agency)
  • What does my ABN form tell me about my Medicare coverage for these services?

You may be asked to sign an ABN form by our staff.  The purpose of an ABN form, also called an Advanced Beneficiary Notice,  is to give the patient the option of choosing to receive or refuse treatment and/or procedures that may not be covered by Medicare prior to them being performed leaving  the patient responsible for payment.

  • What methods of payment work best for me?
  • Who (me or the care facility's office staff) will be completing insurance forms?

What is a deductible, co-insurance, and co-payment?

A deductible is the amount of expenses that must be paid out of pocket before an insurer will pay any expenses.  The deductible is usually a set dollar amount.   

Co-insurance is splitting the cost of healthcare between the patient and the insurance carrier.  For example, an 80/20 co-insurance plan with a $300 deductible requires the insured to pay 20% of the covered costs after the deductible as been paid, while the insurance company will be liable for the remaining 80%.

Co-payment is a dollar amount that is defined in the insurance policy and paid by the insured person each time a medical service is accessed.

If you owe a deductible or co-payment, you will be asked to pay an estimate of your portion of the bill at the time of service.

  • Northwest Medical Center will file claims with your insurance company.  You will receive a bill for the remaining balance once the insurance company pays their portion.  You can pay your bill in person, or by mail or phone.
  • If you have questions or are uncertain about a bill, please call us at 660-726-3325 and speak with our billing department about your options. 

Why didn’t my insurance plan cover this?

Please contact your insurance company using the phone number on the back of your insurance card if you have questions that relate directly to your insurance plan.   

All applicable co-payments, deductibles and non-covered services are the patient’s responsibility. Patients will be asked to pay these charges at the time of service.  Please recognize we will not know the non-covered charges at the time of service.  The patient will be billed any unpaid balances.  These must be paid within the time period outlined on the billing statement or agreed to with a billing department representative who sets up a payment plan. Delinquent or unpaid balances may be referred to a collection agency for further action.

Payments may be made by cash, check, money order, or credit/debit cards.  For questions concerning your bill or to inquire about setting up a payment plan, please call our Central Billing Office at 660-726-3325.